Monday, August 17, 2015

They Got Married in Portugal After a Chance Meeting in NYC

from yahoo

Sarah Leshner
Yahoo Travel profiles readers who came back from a trip with the best souvenir ever — true love. Want to share your own story? Email your story to traveleditors@yahoo.com.
They Got Married in Portugal After a Chance Meeting in NYC
On his first visit to the United States, Rodrigo met Sarah at a group dinner.
Who: Sarah Leshner and Rodrigo Carvalho 
 When: 2010 
 Where: NYC 
 Relationship: Married 
 (As told by Sarah) 
I was single in New York City, so for Memorial Day weekend in 2010, I made plans to go away with some friends. That’s when a different friend told me she was going to meet up with a guy who would be with a big group friends. She thought they were from Brazil, and I work in Latin America, so I thought it could be fun. Plus, I spoke Portuguese, so she wanted me to come along in case the guy she liked was talking about her. 
I changed my plans and went to the dinner, and as it turns out, the guys were all from Portugal. As I panned the room, I saw Rodrigo across the long table and pointed him out to my friend. I thought he was cute and told her that I liked him. Just like that, my friend pretended like we were in the 7thgrade and told everyone in the group that I thought Rodrigo was cute. It was just a matter of time before the message got down to his side of the table, and he came over to talk to me. 
image
To my surprise, I found out that it was Rodrigo’s first night ever in the U.S. At the time he was living in Poland, and had just arrived in New York City to attend some meetings the following week. He was really jet lagged, but we had had a good conversation that night and made plans to hang out again. We hung out in New York City three times before Rodrigo had to return home. 
To hear him tell it, he fell in love with the U.S. right away. “I didn’t even say a word to these American girls and I hear that one of them likes me,” he always jokes. 
We stayed in touch, but I didn’t know when I was going to see him again. 
Six months later I was planning a trip to Israel with my friend. My job at the time required me to take a 2-week vacation all at once, so since I was only going to Israel for 10 days, I had five extra days at my disposal. I took a leap of faith and messaged Rodrigo to see if he wanted to meet me somewhere. He was totally game, and suggested that we meet in Istanbul. We spent Thanksgiving weekend together in Istanbul, and that’s when we knew that there was something special between us. A couple of weeks later, we saw each other over Christmas in Miami and New York. 
image
image






No comments:

Post a Comment